Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wildlife of the Yucatan








When I travel I love to discover new things, yet my favorite is the animals and wildlife of the region. It has been exciting to discover new birds, Large and small lizards, and the local cats and dogs as well. For me being in nature is when I thrive and can breathe freely. Discovering new species is always exciting and I love learning new things. In the last three weeks I have discovered at least half a dozen new birds, and since I haven't been exposed to Tropical species I had to buy a guidebook which has helped me identify some birds. The first photo is a Yucatan Parrot. Yesterday several of them landed on the tree top in the backyard of the guest house where I am staying. This was the first time for me seeing Parrots in the wild which was great as opposed to seeing one as a pet in a cage where they do not belong.

The second image is one of the many small Geckos that are common to these parts. A few of them have only been about an inch long or so. The third image is one of the Iguana varieties that are an emerald shade of green. These are very beautiful in their own endearing way.

Also, So many Seabirds, and one of my favorite birds are Pelicans. The locals call them Pelicanos and I loved watch them dive bomb for fish. In Tulum in the late afternoon the fisherman throw their leftovers to the seabirds and that is a fun thing to watch. The frigatebirds and Brown Boobies catch the fish in the air and are very skillful with this. For me this is what it is all about, experiences new animals and embracing every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment