Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Yucatan Adventure, Que Bonita






It is hard to believe that I left Alaska almost a month ago. Before I knew it, the last day of work fell upon on me and I was on the road to experience a new adventure. Initially my intention was to go straight to Costa Rica and volunteer at a Wildlife Sanctuary on the North Pacific Coast. However in the last days of the season I was inspired by some insight that came to me, and opted to begin my travels in the Yucatan of Southern Mexico. I have traveled in Mexico many times before, yet I had not explored the Mayan region of the country. So off I went. I flew into Cancun, once a quiet fishing village, now a booming resort with five star resort splattered all over the coastline. I only stayed Cancun for one night before heading down to Playa Del Carmen about an hour south of Cancun. I was definitely surprised how tourism had boomed there as well. Back in the 1990's I worked for several years for a Tour Company that devised packages for travel to Mexico and Hawaii. Back then Playa was just beginning as a resort and fairly undeveloped so I was shocked at the amount of people there, and it is still low season. I stayed at a quaint Boutique Hotel called the Posada Mariposa ("House of Butterflies). The hotel was centrally located and close proximity to the beach. Having booked it online you never know what to expect. I actually booked a hotel called La Casa Del Mar and a few days prior to my departure I got an e-mail from the online company that the property had closed due to low business and they had to switch me. They moved me to the Posada which was higher price, yet of course did not charge me for the difference. It was charming with around 18 rooms, wi-fi access, a beach club that they used and free breakfast. I stayed there for four days, mostly relaxing on the beach and walking through the promenade in the evening. The Sales people were out in full force so there was a lot of haggling to deal with, I just simply said "No Gracias" and No Me Melesete, do not bother me. In any case I still enjoyed my time here, yet looked forward to reaching a quieter destination.

After four days in Playa I headed south to Tulum. One of the many Mayan cities and sites along the route. Tulum is starting to become known for their Eco-resorts which are lining up along the coast route there. Many of them are simply Cabnanas and some without electricity. Still Mexico has a ways to go to legitmately call themselves Eco minded, considering people smoke everywhere and you see trash all over the place. Yet, OI honor them for making the attempt to be on the road to this goal. My cabana was the Copal. My place was set in the jungle, with a mosquito net over my bed, candles instead of lights in the typical style of the Maya who once thrived in this region. I had the beach almost to myself, except for a few other guests, and later found out that it was a nude beach. I enjoyed my days there frolicking in the warm water and watching the Frigatebirds and Pelicans dive bomb for lunch. Both Tulum and Playa Del Carmen to not allow vendors to parade up and down the beach selling their wears, so it was hassle free, which was a welcome sight for me. The town of tulum is small and easy to navigate. Food is much less expensive there, yet there are still conveniences for the traveler. While I was there I ran into a woman who was also from Alaska. I knew she looked familar and it turned out she had served me in a resturant there as well. It is a small world afterall. While I was there Cathy and I went up to Aukumal, a once thriving fishing village as well, to watch La Centro Ecological De Aukumal, a non-profit that does Reef Monitoring, Sea Turtle monitoring and more release some hatchling Sea Turtles. That was very exciting as this is one of the things I want to do this winter is to help with Sea Turtles. In Aukumal I also met Andy, the owner of Peanut Pet Shelter of Playa Del Carmen and Aukumal who arrived from Scotland five years ago. During the Holidays I will be going back there to help take of the 75 dogs at the shelter along with a friend. That should be fun. My intention is to volunteer at different venues along the way to make the most of my expereince.

After a week in Tulum I continued my trip further south to the Yucatan captiol of Merida. Merida by Mexican standards is not a large city,yet for me a million peo0ple is pretty large. I needed to get to a place and stay longer to receive some mail and take care of business so I have been in Meridca now for 10 days. While I have been here I have enjoyed the festivals in the Gran Plaza, Yucataen Food, traditional dancing, and a day trip to Progresso the closest beach town to Merida. I have discovered new bird species, visited the Anthropology museum of the Mayan people, a Contemporary Art Museum, and the Centanario Zoological Parque. I can definitely feel the Maya presence here, in the stores, the festivals and the many ruins in this region. So far though I have only been to the Tulum Ruins which was magical and I look forward to more. I will do my best to keep writing about the adventures and experiences I have and share with all. For now Buon Dia and blessings to eveyrone.

No comments:

Post a Comment